As an Episcopal community, we want to be a place where people love and are loved, as God loves us, unconditionally. Yet we are human, and so when we inevitably fall short, we must lean into our values and create a place where all are welcome to be seen, to be known, to contemplate, to connect, and to be community. In so doing we can provide an excellent educational community that is purposeful and anchored in love where all students thrive. The TMI community affirms the personhood of every individual and commits to celebrating every intersection of their individuality. Therefore, the Equity Task Force exists to be a catalyst for meaningful interactions between students, faculty, and staff that lead to more equitable practices, outcomes, and understanding in our community.
As we seek to do transformative work on personal and institutional levels, we commit to:
- model what it means to be a community that respects the dignity of every human being
- encourage self-reflection of perspectives, actions, and emotions
- engage in collegial discussion with faculty and staff that helps build structures, programs, and curriculum that foster belonging for every member of the community
- foster open, inclusive conversations among students so they may come to know and accept each other’s uniqueness
- provide the time and space for students to comfortably voice concerns and discuss issues of equity and inclusion
- support students in their emerging identities through student unions and advocacy
The TMI Episcopal Equity Task Force welcomes input as a part of safe, open dialogue.